Nottingham Forest ‘prepares new 120M bid’ for midfielder with huge release clause

The latest Nottingham Forest transfer news as reports in Portugal claim that the Reds have already seen a bid for the midfielder turned down this summer.

Nottingham Forest are reportedly ready to make a bid for Benfica midfielder Florentino Luis, having already seen an offer turned down by the Portuguese club.

Reports on Wednesday claimed that Forest held a ‘strong interest’ in the 23-year-old. It now seems that they may have already acted on that interest.

According to Portuguese outlet Record (via SportWitness ), Forest have seen a €30 million (£25.7m) offer turned down by Benfica, but they have not let that put them off the pursuit. The report says that Forest are ready to raise the offer and make another attempt.

Florentino Luis after the Liga Portugal Bwin match between Boavista and SL Benfica.
Florentino Luis after the Liga Portugal Bwin match between Boavista and SL Benfica. (Image: Diogo Cardoso/Getty Images)

It is not known what sort of price the Portuguese club are demanding for the player. But he does have four years remaining on his deal with the club, with a €120 million (£102.8m) release clause.

The player himself is said to be keen to increase his game time this season, having been used as a second half substitute in both of Benfica’s games so far. That is therefore something that could benefit Forest in their hopes of signing Florentino this summer.

Steve Cooper is keen to add to his midfield in the final two weeks of the transfer window, as he builds his squad for the new season. He has so far added three new players in Ola Aina, Anthony Elanga and Matt Turner, who all made their debuts in last weekend’s opener against Arsenal.

Read Also  “That's what we are being told” - Sky Sports man shares intriguing transfer claim out of Spurs

Florentino made a total of 54 appearances in all competitions for Benfica last season. 33 of those came in the domestic league campaign as Benfica became Portuguese Champions.